Sunday 2 December 2012

 
I originally bought this book because of all the fabulous reviews it has received. I thought to myself.............'it can't be THAT good'! But, my interest was piqued and so I bought the book. Well, what can I say about this book? Firstly, it is the funniest book I have read in a long long time. It is also a very moving book that not only induced tears of laughter but tears of sadness.

Basically, without giving away any spoilers, the book is almost a memoir of Ben and his wife Dinah's trip around Great Britain with their two small children. And why have they taken the mad decision to drive over 8000 miles in their car? Initially I thought because they were bonkers! Well, they are writing a travel guide for families. It’s a brilliant idea and the book really conveys the love that Ben and his family have for one another. The book describes in a laugh out loud style some of the adventures the Hatch clan have. Whilst reading this book in bed I actually woke my husband and daughter up laughing so much. I could see so many aspects of my own life in the book and anyone with children will be able to nod knowingly while laughing at the family's exploits.
 

The book also explores Ben's relationship with his father and it is during these poignant chapters in the book that you can't help be choked with emotion. I defy you not to cry! Although the book is a travel book it is also very cleverly looking at family dynamics. I fell in love with Ben and his family through this book and am now a huge fan! I cannot recommend this book highly enough. However, I still think Ben and Dinah were mad travelling such a distance over such a period of time with two small children!

STOP PRESS!! I do also believe that the movie rights for the book have just been bought so congrats to Ben Hatch. Richly deserved. It will be a fantastically funny movie. Mr Hatch is indeed a very talented writer.

The book can be bought in paperback and Kindle formats HERE for all you in the UK and HERE for those of you outside the UK.

4 Responses so far.

  1. Nikki says:

    I have read this book and it is a really good read. I would love to see it made into a film. Great review :)

  2. Me too! A perfect and fabulous review. Well done Ben Hatch! :) xx

  3. Deedee says:

    Thanks guys. I do love a book that makes me laugh out loud! x

  4. I simply loved Ben's book. And this is a great review. Looking forward to the movie. Way to Go, Ben! X

- Copyright © 2013-2014 Brook Cottage Books - Powered by Blogger - Graphics & Blog Customization by JellydogDesign