Wednesday 19 March 2014



Brook Cottage Books is thrilled to have a guest post by Barbara Berger!
 





Chick Lit meets Self Help in “The Adventures of Pebble Beach” by Barbara Berger
http://adventuresofpebblebeach.com/

I like to say “Chick Lit meets Self Help” in my newly released novel “The Adventures of Pebble Beach” because the book is the fictional version of some of the many themes I explore in my self-help books. You see my name is Barbara Berger and if you Google me or check out my Web site (www.beamteam.com) you’ll see that I’ve written 15 self-empowerment books including the international bestseller “The Road to Power / Fast Food for the Soul” (which is now published in 30 languages) and “Are You Happy Now? 10 Ways to Live a Happy Life” (18 languages) which was recently released in the US and UK.

And now finally my novel “The Adventures of Pebble Beach” has just been released by Roundfire Books in the US and UK and the rest of the English-speaking world. The book is a high-spirited tale of a newly divorced, 40-something woman with two teenage sons who is trying to take control of her life, her sex-crazed body, and her new relationships with men – while struggling to build a career in advertising in the big city. It’s a fun read and I’m sure you are going to enjoy it!

The reason I’ve had so much fun with Pebble Beach is that I’ve taken many of the “usual suspects” we women worry about and put them in this book. Subjects like our frantic desire to keep our good looks even though we’re getting older, the way we look for validation of our worth from other people, how we often desperately want a man because we believe we must have a partner to live a happy life, and then (oh God no) the way in which we often choose poorly when we do hick up with someone! You get the idea! And well Pebble Beach – the name of my heroine in this book – worries about all of these things and more. And so in the book, we get to see how she manages after she gets divorced – in terms of her love life, her sex life, and her career in the big city. Finally – when things really begin to come to a head – dear Pebble Beach decides to go to therapy!


And believe it or not, I wrote the original draft of “The Adventures of Pebble Beach” almost 30 years ago in 1987. But at the time I wasn’t a famous author and so I didn’t show the manuscript to anyone. I just stuffed it away in a drawer somewhere and forgot about it!

Needless to say, it wasn’t until 2007 that I rediscovered the book quite by accident. It happened in the very hot summer of 2007 after I’d just been through a painful breakup with my on-and-off boyfriend of almost seven years. Then one day, when I was looking for something on my computer, I must have hit the wrong key and up came Pebble Beach. And as I said, I’d completely forgotten about her and her adventures and on that day in 2007, I started reading what appeared on the screen before me. And wow, I was amazed at what I read. I was amazed by what I had written 20 years earlier about a woman who was also floundering and trying to come to terms with her disastrous relationships with men! I was stunned by my discovery. Did I really know all that in 1987?

And then I thought, well it could be fun to try and update the manuscript and see if I could make it an even better book than the original manuscript was. And so that became my 2007 summer project and part of my own healing journey out of the problematic relationship I myself had been in for so long.

Because yes, even though “The Adventures of Pebble Beach” is a fun read, it’s also a lot about a woman floundering in unhealthy relationships and yes, in the book, the heroine Pebble Beach does go to therapy to try to understand her insecurity and neediness and her inability to take care of herself when her better judgment is telling her that a relationship is not good for her.

And now finally Pebble Beach has been published! Exciting indeed! So I hope you’ll enjoy Pebble Beach and her journey to freedom as much as I have!

Links:

Purchase links:




Special release offer: Only 5 US dollars.






- Copyright © 2013-2014 Brook Cottage Books - Powered by Blogger - Graphics & Blog Customization by JellydogDesign