Sunday 6 May 2018

The Lies We Told by Camilla Way

Release Date: 3rd May 2018
Publisher: Harper Collins
Genres: Crime / Thriller / Mystery

DO YOU PROMISE NOT TO TELL?
A DAUGHTER
Beth has always known there was something strange about her daughter, Hannah. The lack of emotion, the disturbing behaviour, the apparent delight in hurting others… sometimes Beth is scared of her, and what she could be capable of.
A SON
Luke comes from the perfect family, with the perfect parents. But one day, he disappears without trace, and his girlfriend Clara is left desperate to discover what has happened to him.
A LIFE BUILT ON LIES
As Clara digs into the past, she realizes that no family is truly perfect, and uncovers a link between Luke’s long-lost sister and a strange girl named Hannah. Now Luke’s life is in danger because of the lies once told and the secrets once kept. Can she find him before it’s too late?

EXTRACT


Cambridgeshire, 1986
At first I mistook the severed head for something else. It wasn’t until I was very close that I realized it was Lucy. To begin with I thought the splash of yellow against the white of my pillow was a discarded sock, a balled-up handkerchief perhaps. It was only when I drew nearer and saw the delicate crest of feathers, the tiny, silent beak, that I fully understood. And suddenly I understood so much more: everything in that moment became abso­lutely clear.
‘Hannah?’ I whispered. A floorboard creaked in the hall beyond my bedroom door. My scalp tightened. ‘Hannah,’ louder now, yet with the same, fearful tremor in my voice, ‘is that you?’ No answer, but I felt her there, somewhere near; could feel her waiting, listening.
I didn’t want to touch my little bird’s head, could hardly bear to look at the thin, brown line of congealed blood where it had been sliced clean from the body, the half-open, staring eyes. I wondered if she’d been alive or dead when it happened, and started to feel sick.
When I went to Hannah’s bedroom she was standing by her window, looking down at the garden below. I said her name and she turned and regarded me, her beautiful dark eyes sombre, just a trace of a smile on her lips. ‘Yes, Mummy?’ she said. ‘What’s wrong?’


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39295250-the-lies-we-told

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lies-We-Told-psychological-bestselling-ebook/dp/B077CZ2NLT/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525590481&sr=8-1&keywords=THE+LIES+WE+TOLD https://www.amazon.com/Lies-We-Told-Psychological-Bestselling/dp/0008159092/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525590641&sr=8-1&keywords=the+lies+we+told+camilla+way 





- Copyright © 2013-2014 Brook Cottage Books - Powered by Blogger - Graphics & Blog Customization by JellydogDesign